ASEV Announces Best Enology and Viticulture Papers
DAVIS, Calif., March 01, 2023…The American Society for Enology and Viticulture (ASEV) has selected the 2023 Best Paper Awards for enology and viticulture. Both papers are highlighted in the American Journal of Enology and Viticulture and are available free of charge.
The 2023 Best Viticulture Paper, “Electrical Stimulation as a Potential Technique for Enlarging Table Grape Size by Enhancing Cell Division,” is authored by Daisuke Mori, Norimichi Hanya, Yoshinao Aoki and Shunji Suzuki from the University of Yamanashi, Japan; and Hiroshi Kanamaru and Yoshiyuki Masamura of NIHONSHINKO Co., Ltd., Japan.
For Best Enology Paper, ASEV selected “Fertilize or Supplement: The Impact of Nitrogen on Vine Productivity and Wine Sensory Properties in Chardonnay,” by Tian Tian of the University of California Cooperative Extension, Kern County, R. Paul Schreiner from the USDA-ARS, Oregon, and Oregon State University, Corvallis’s Meghan Ruppel, James Osborne, and Elizabeth Tomasino.
Each year, the ASEV Best Paper Awards Committee evaluates all manuscripts published in the American Journal of Enology and Viticulture (AJEV) during the previous year and selects onepaper in viticulture and one in enology that reflect outstanding research and a substantial contribution to the field. Committee members are required to read and score each paper and the ASEV Board of Directors make the final decision. The 2023 Best Paper Award Committee includes:
- Anita Oberholster, University of California, Davis (Chair)
- Kristen Barnhisel, J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines, California
- Luca Brillante, California State University, Fresno
- Bob Coleman, Treasury Wine Estates, California
- Mark Greenspan, Advanced Viticulture Inc., California
- Alec Levin, Oregon State University, Corvallis
- Cristina Medina Plaza, University of California, Davis
- Qun (Kristy) Sun, California State University, Fresno
- Miguel Pedroza Villareal, California State University, Fresno
- Emily Wiemer, Three Sticks Wines, California
The selected authors will present their paper at the 2023 ASEV National Conference in Napa, California, on June 26-29, 2023.