Weed Ecology and Management Advisor
Closing Date: 12/12/2022
4437-B S. Laspina Street
Tulare, CA 93274
The University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) offers a unique recruitment opportunity for a UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Weed Ecology and Management Advisor. UC ANR operates a statewide network of researchers and educators dedicated to the development and application of knowledge to address local agricultural, environmental and health issues. Over 150 UC ANR UCCE advisors conduct research, outreach and education from locally based CE offices serving all 58 counties from 70+ locations throughout the state. By working and living among those we serve, UC ANR expands the University of California’s reach to engage all people and communities in California, ensuring equal access to the UC system.
The Weed Ecology and Management Advisor will implement an innovative extension education and applied research program to address issues related to weed management for cropping systems and non-crop settings of the southern San Joaquin Valley, including Fresno, Kings, and Tulare counties.
This position offers the opportunity to address a myriad of issues ranging from invasive species, herbicide resistance, air, and water quality issues related to weed control practices, and emerging mechanical (e.g., robotic) technologies in conventional and organic production systems.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop and deliver relevant program content to have meaningful impacts in local communities and throughout California.
Opportunities abound for extension and research partnerships with a variety of stakeholders and partnerships, including commodity-focused CE Advisors, farmers, commercial Pest Control Advisors (PCA), agricultural commodity boards, and government agencies. The advisor joins a team of highly motivated UCCE colleagues who are passionate about their work and are dedicated to making a difference within the communities and throughout California. The potential for collaborative projects within the UC ANR system is nearly limitless.
Counties of Responsibility:
This position will be headquartered in the UCCE Tulare office, CA, and also have programmatic responsibilities in southern San Joaquin Valley, including Fresno and Kings Counties. This is not a remote position.
The CE Advisor serves under the administrative guidance of the University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) County Director for Fresno, Kings and Tulare Counties.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Weed Science, Agronomy, Horticulture, Crop Science, or related field
- Valid driver’s license required to fulfill job duties - Employees driving County or University vehicles must possess valid CA Driver’s License and participate in the DMV pull notice program
- Knowledge of weed science
- Ability to work with clientele across a wide range of socio-economic classes and ethnicities
- CE Advisor must possess or obtain within one year a Qualified Pesticide Applicator Certificate (QAC) or License (QAL) prior to applying or supervising the application of any pesticide
The candidate should have a deep understanding of agronomy and weed management and be able to design and implement a program that leads to positive changes and impact within the community and beyond. There is an expectation that advisors evolve and grow across their career and respond to changes in the industry and by clientele.
- Demonstrated excellence in written, oral, interpersonal and information technology communication skills. Public speaking to stakeholders is a routine part of this position. Spanish language skills are a plus
- Demonstrated ability to share complex information in a manner tailored to the audience
- Collaboration, Teamwork and Flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a team member with industry and other stakeholders. Able to adapt as circumstances warranted
- Aware and willing to actively promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Demonstrated commitment to ongoing self-improvement. Ability to shift program focus as times and organizational needs change.
Learn more about Skills and Areas of Programmatic Review (including Professional Competence, University and Public Service and Affirmative Action and DEI) at https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/319460.pdf
Desired Experience and skills:
- Passion and desire to pursue a career in Cooperative Extension
- Experience in education and outreach
- Experience in building partnerships and with multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to effectively plan projects, manage teams and implement an applied research and outreach program, including setting measurable goals and objectives
Salary and Benefits:
The beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scales, please refer to the University of California website: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/358478.pdf. If the successful candidate is currently a UCCE Advisor, the candidate will be offered the position without change to the candidate’s current rank, step, salary and/or appointment terms; and if applicable, is eligible to retain indefinite status.
This position is eligible for indefinite status following three successful reviews and subject to terms noted in UC ANR Policy and Procedure Manual, Section 315. https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/118501.pdf
The University of California offers comprehensive benefits including health insurance, retirement plans, two days per month paid vacation, one day per month paid sick leave, and paid holidays. This position is eligible for sabbatical leave privileges as per the terms of the University policy. For more information, refer to the UC Benefits website at: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
If interested in this position, please visit https://recruit.ucanr.edu/ and choose “applicants” (refer to position #22-45)
Closing Date: To assure full consideration, application packets must be received by December 12, 2022 – (open until filled)
Questions? Contact Alma Jackson – email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants may wish to explore the UC Davis Services for International Students and Scholars web page at https://siss.ucdavis.edu and the UC ANR Green Card Sponsorship Guidelines & FAQ’s for reference.