Instructional Support Technician III
California State University, Fresno
Department of Viticulture and Enology
Fresno, CA 93740
June 22, 2021
Under the general supervision of the Director of the Viticulture & Enology Research Center, this technician will provide comprehensive instructional support services to faculty teaching laboratory sections of undergraduate courses and inter-departmental, graduate lab techniques courses in the Department of Viticulture and Enology and provide comprehensive research support services to researchers utilizing research laboratories in the Viticulture and Enology Research Center.
- Purchases chemical reagents, preparation of chemical solutions, development and testing of laboratory protocols and lab set-up prior to classes.
- Trains graduate students on laboratory analyses specific to their research area and locating suitable instrumentation, as well as the development of appropriate quality control procedures and corresponding safety rules and regulations.
- Provides guidance and support for wine production and fermentation projects during the season.
- Responsible for assigning materials and supplies in the research and teaching winery.
- Trouble-shoots and/or performs minor repairs on laboratory instrumentation and field equipment and in the case of new equipment, assists with installation and the development of proper operating procedures.
- Responsible for maintenance and major repairs of laboratory equipment, in cooperation with skilled equipment technicians.
- Maintains refrigeration, environmental control, power, and/or backup support for sensitive materials and equipment located at the Viticulture & Enology Research Center.
- Coordinates the implementation of a comprehensive laboratory safety training program for the research and teaching laboratories in the Viticulture and Enology Research Center and Department of Viticulture and Enology.
- Provides support for research carried out at the Viticulture and Enology Research Center and assists faculty and researchers with the maintenance of a safe research area that complies with current standards for laboratory safety audits by Environmental Health and Safety, the Chancellor’s Office or outside reviewers.
- Provides secondary support for research and work in cooperation with the technicians supporting the Jordan Agricultural Research Center and Jordan College Graduate Lab, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods related to performing support services in a instructional laboratory or curriculum setting.
- Knowledge and practical experience with wine production and winery operations
- Sufficient knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory analysis and equipment operation and maintenance to allow the individual to assume operational responsibility for the Graduate Laboratory and teaching labs belonging to the College preferred.
- A minimum of two years of experience in research laboratory work related to agricultural, environmental or food sciences or technology; or instructional support related to these areas preferred.
- Practical experience with different wine production techniques, preferably in different climates and growing regions preferred.
- Sufficient knowledge of rules, regulations, and laws in wine
production and wine analysis preferred.
Please use the following link to apply: https://careers.fresnostate.edu/en-us/job/501081/instructional-support-technician-iii