70th ASEV National Conference in Napa Highlights
ASEV is hosting its 70th National Conference on June 17-20 at the Napa Valley Marriott Hotel in Napa, California. This year’s program is packed full of information, starting off with a full-day symposium on Oak in Winemaking on Tuesday, June 18. Available on a first-come, first-served basis, the Oak Symposium includes cooperage tours.
On Wednesday, there are a number of presentations to choose from. Among them are the following:
- Dr. Monica Cooper of UC Cooperative Extension, Napa Valley, will discuss how to build effective extension networks to support data-driven decision making.
- UC Davis’ Dr. Susan Ebeler will be this year’s Honorary Research Lecturer and her presentation will cover her extensive work in grape and wine flavor, from the past, in the present and what’s in the future.
- The keynote presentation will be delivered by Dr. Susan Bastian from The University of Adelaide in Australia. She will discuss her research on context factors that affect wine consumer behavior, choice and perception.
- Want to learn about the latest research projects? The Student Flash Talks in enology and viticulture are a quick 3-minute synopses of the emerging research projects throughout the world.
Thursday will feature another full day of sessions, including:
- Merit Award winner, Dr. Sara Spayd, will give her presentation titled Grape and Wine Industry, Research, Extension and Education: It Takes Villages.
- Authors of the AJEV Best Papers in enology and viticulture will be presenting their papers.
- Dr. Terry Bates from Cornell University will present the USDA-NIFA-SCRI “Efficient Vineyard” Project at the Outreach Seminar.
After a full day of sessions and a variety of oral presentations in enology and viticulture, each day will end with a networking reception with appetizers and wine. Poster authors will be available to talk to on Wednesday evening during the Napa Valley Regional Wine Reception and scholarships and student best presentation awards will be announced Thursday evening during the Student-Industry Mixer. The wines for this year’s receptions have been generously donated by Napa Valley Vintners.