Area Small Farms Advisor – University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources
Serving Yolo, Solano and Sacramento Counties
Location Headquarters: Yolo County, Woodland, California
For full consideration, by August 10, 2014, please electronically submit your cover letter, completed academic application form, curriculum vitae and all college transcripts to ANRacademicsearch@ucop.edu.
Please refer to Position Number AP#14-07 in all correspondence.
Please view the full position description and access the academic application form at the UC ANR employment website: http://ucanr.edu/Jobs/Jobs_990/?jobnum=633
The University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural
Resources (UC ANR), a statewide program with
local development and delivery, is seeking a UC Cooperative
Extension (UCCE) academic advisor to conduct a
multi-county-based extension and applied research program in
the area of small-scale farms engaged in direct and
nontraditional wholesale marketing of vegetable and fruit
crops. Through collaborations with other UCCE farm advisors, UCCE
specialists and private industry representatives, the
Advisor will be responsible for extending research-based
information on all aspects of small farms with particular
emphasis on organic agriculture production systems in Yolo,
Solano and Sacramento Counties.
- Conduct and report needs assessments to identify priority issues or problems relevant to the local clientele groups being served.
- Develop and implement effective UC ANR Cooperative Extension
applied research and educational programs to address the
identified priority needs of the clientele that are consistent
with ANR’s Strategic Vision and ANR initiatives http://ucanr.edu/files/906.pdf.
- Conduct applied research designed to monitor changes and solve locally relevant problems.
- Disseminate appropriate, science-based information to inform clientele, using extension methods that are responsive to clientele needs and appropriate for the audience and situation.
- Maintain and promote UC Cooperative Extension’s credibility by providing science-based knowledge.
- Evaluate programs and report accomplishments, results, and potential or actual impacts to scientific and lay audiences through a variety of outreach methods (internet, workshops, newsletters).
- Develop collaborative teams with other UC ANR academics, including campus-based specialists, AES faculty, CE Advisors and/or others, to address priority issues for the small farms community.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of a Master’s Degree is required, though other advanced degrees are encouraged, in disciplines such as agricultural, plant science, or a closely related field. Additional experience in soil science, agro-ecology and sustainable agriculture is preferred. Post-graduate agricultural experience in applied research, education, or in private enterprise in small-scale and organic agricultural production is advantageous. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication
skills are required. A demonstrated ability in applied agricultural research and extension is desirable. Ability to communicate effectively in a second language is desirable. The academic in this position must acquire a California Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC) (http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/license/app_packets/qac.pdf) within nine months from the date of hire.
Beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scales, please refer to the University of California, ANR website:
It is the policy of the University of California (UC) and the UC Division of Agriculture & Natural Resources not to engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person in any of its programs or activities. Complete nondiscrimination policy statement can be found
As of January 1, 2014, ANR is a smoke- and tobacco-free environment in which smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes), is strictly prohibited.